Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Apr 2004 23:46:23 EDT
From:         George Mercer <Gamercer@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 5 speed question
Comments: To: kayakwesty@YAHOO.COM

A 5-speed can give you closer gear ratios so that when you shift up, you lose less rpms. This is an advantage in mountain driving. I don't know the gearing for the diesels but for my gas '88 Westy, the 5-speed made a big difference.

First through 4th are lower geared than the 1st thru 4th in the 4-speed. I can more easily maintain speed and find the gear that works best on any segment of hill.

The final drive is like an overdrive and lets me cruise about 5 mph faster at the same rpm on the highway.

I like to shift up at 4500 rpm which is the end of the shaded green line (safe) on my tach. The following gives an example of less drop in rpm and more power after shifting up.

At the 4500 rpm shift point with the 4-speed, Westy would do 55 mph and there was a drop of 1500 rpm to 3000 rpm going into 4th (wider gear ratio, bigger drop in rpm). The other gears are similar but not quite as big a drop.

With the 5-speed, 1st through 4th are about 5% lower geared and thus shifting up at 4500 comes sooner but less drop in rpm with the closer ratio gears.

With the 5-speed, 4th runs out to 68 or 69 mph at 4500 rpm. Shifting up to 5th gear lowers the rpm to 3600 going into 5th gear. This is a drop in rpm of only 900 rpm and keeps the Westy 2.1 in its best performance and I think its best torque or pulling range. See table below;

after shift-up after shift-up gear 4-speed 4500 rpm rpm 5-speed 4500 rpm 1 19 16

2 33 2500 28 2600 3 54 2700 44 2900 4 81 3000 61 2900 5 86 3600

Consult your engineer and attorney regarding the above speeds and rpm as these are not guaranteed.

Good luck, George '88 Westy, 5-speed

In a message dated 4/4/2004 7:12:28 PM Pacific Standard Time, kayakwesty@YAHOO.COM writes: Does the 5-speed , have the same trouble as the early 4 speeds with 4 & 3 gears. I am wanting to install a 5 speed , also does the 5-speed need any re-gearing? I have an 84 with a 2.0 Jetta Digifant II .I travel with a very heavy loaded Westy for weekend trips, the trips are usually 6 hours round-trip, in the mountains. I hope as usual the list here can help.