Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:08:10 EDT
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: that '89 Bluestar/Wolfsburg on ebay sold for $6100

In a message dated 4/5/2004 9:30:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time, JordanVw@AOL.COM writes:

<< the only difference between a Euro spec '89 Hannover Ed. "Blue Star" or "White Star" and a US spec '89 Wolfsburg Ed.(other than the obvious DOT and emission differences) is that the euro one was sold in europe. the vehicle is the same otherwise.. same interior, same upholstry, same paint, same options standard, except A/C which was an option in europe, standard on the 89 wolfsburg in the US. actually the european van doesnt have the word "Blue Star"/"White Star" anywhere on it.. only on the sales sticker. >>

So you acknowledge they are "different"? Have you looked at the Birth Certificate of one?

<< so anyway folks, if you want to be correct, stick some black "hannover edition" badges in place of your black "wolfsburg edition" badges, and then you have yourself a Bluestar/Whitestar :<) >>

So Chris is your van a Porsche Boxster too? Oh? But it has a Boster badge? Doesn't that make it a Boxster? This reminds me when I used to be into Mustangs. You had all these guys were sticking 428CJ badges on their small block 351W powered Mach 1's. The Camaro guys had a bunch putting 454 on their fender's front edges. I thought that was the end of that until I got into BMW's. BMW sold tons of M3 emblems. Way more than any M3 ever built. There was even an Isetta running around in BMW Motorsport colors with the selfsame M3 emblem. Oh I get it!!! The emblem made them go so much faster. In the land of NOT. POSERS, the whole lot of them.

This reminds me of a recent experience. My business partner asked me to bid on a Cartier watch. Auction said 100% genuine. Seller had 100% positive feedback record. $1500 later, we get the watch. My anxious friend went running to his friends at the local Cartier boutique to show off his purchase.GONG!!! The first words out of his Cartier salesperson was, "VERY good fake. Where's you get it from?". A month goes by and I finally get the seller to take the merchandise back. They refunded the money. Their excuse? "Oh we did not know that the guy who consigned the item to us added those Cartier markings on it. So we advertised it as 100% original. He had them on there so long that he forgot all about it." I'm paraphrasing but that's the gist of the conversation.

Markings? On cars we call those badges sometimes. Just like this unusual 1989 Wolfsburg Edition with a GL interior that we were discussing on this forum last week. Wasn't a Wolfy at all but a plain GL. A bit of badge engineering and it look all the world to be a rare vehicle. Rare indeed in the land on NOT!!!

<< anyway ben i hope you dont mind me continuing to call them Bluestar/Whitestar, i just like the way it sounds, and i think of them as the US version of the >>

So no I do not mind you calling them anything you want as long as you don't advertise it as something that it is not. You don;t have to be selling the item to be advertising it. Hell I would not likely have read this thread had it been properly advertised as a sale of a Wolfsburg Edition van. I see those sold all week long around here.

Now the sale of a real honest to goodness Hannover Edition Bluestar is something to talk about. How did the seller get the vehicle into the country? Did he use a Registered Importer or was it brought in under shadier circumstances? Did he/she any trouble with customs? Was there are German brochures that came with it? Did it have the optional rear captains chairs? Wait, wait ... the darn thing is only a Wolfsburg Edition. What a let down. So what if it sold for a lot of money? I really care about that.

In the world of NOT!!!

BenT Outtashape