Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:47:28 -0600
From:         Andrew Fox <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: State of the Art in Engine Swaps is....?
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@uvic.ca>

> Can you tell me the source of your statement "...NONE of these engines > are designed to run at very high rpm's (4500+) for long periods..."?

Ok, let me clarify: they dont run that fast in the vehicles they were intended for. For example in a Jetta with an I-4 you would be doing 100+ mph at 4500 rpm. The only time they realistically hit those rpms in the vehicles they were designed for is when you're shifting through the lower gears or going fast as hell. So I can't say for sure that they were not designed for running at very high rpms for long periods but they just dont do that in the applications they were designed for. I can't imagine why the engineers would have designed these engines to run very fast for long periods when they never have to do so in the vehicles they are designed for? My guess is that these newer engines are just so darn bulletproof that they can take the beating though.

Andrew