Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:20:42 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: noisy fuel pump
Comments: To: greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA

The refill can stir up sediment in their tank that winds up in your tank. --------------- Clip --------------------- All underground tanks have condensation in them. There are extremes where the water content gets so high that additives are introduced into the tanks so the fuel is usable. I've had TOO WET gasoline a few times and the first symptom is a backfiring engine and very low horsepower. It's not a bad idea to always carry a can of moisture dispersant. Products recommended like Heat and Berrymans B12 have both worked for me. ------------------------------------------ You'll never get the crud out of your tank through the fuel outlet tube (it has a filter sock). The way I've gotten crystals and lumps of crud out of my tank was to put a 1/2" hose down through the fill neck with a weight (solder wrapped end) and put 3 pounds pressure on the fuel outlet tube. I was surprised how much debris I got out. The tank always holds 1.5 Gallons of fuel so the van needs to be jacked up on the left front about 8" to get all the fuel to a location that the 1/2" hose can capture it. You can keep straining the fuel that comes out and keep processing it back through while tapping on the tank or banging it with a rubber hammer to get other debris to move past the tank baffles.

Stan Wilder

Hi Volks,

Rust in the tank is not the only possible source of contamination.

On our way to EveryBus 2002 our group gassed up at the Citgo in Depew N.Y. and two of the buses were at the side of the road within an hour due to plugged filters. My westfakia developed a vapour lock which was cleared by dis-assembling it, Dad's vanagon pump died outright and was replaced with a $100 ford pump and filter from a NAPA outlet in Bath N.Y.

Moral of the story: If the station is getting a refill from a tanker... find a different station. The refill can stir up sediment in their tank that winds up in your tank.

Happy trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1973/74/79 Westfakia Conversion **Bob the Tomato** LY3H 1977 Sunroof Automatic L63H/L90D http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia http://www.geocities.com/busesofthecorn