Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:23:53 -0700
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: noisy fuel pump

I went with a " new pump " or well now they are rebuilt from what? peoples old pumps? and still hear the thing buzzin ( its not me buzzing * shame* ;) I think the new pumps wear even faster then the old. I too check i fuel filter and psi and its good, just the buzz still happens. (( cheep pumps these days?? )) maybe! if so that sucks. lotta $$ for something that will crap out faster that the old one.

Joe

-----Original Message----- From: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM> Sent: Apr 7, 2004 10:53 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: noisy fuel pump

> > Not a chance Robert. Reversing the pump runs it backward pushing the > > crud out and clearing the inlet. Reconnecting allows it to pull gas > > through an unblocked or unrestricted inlet. (untilit gets blocked > > again) Time to clean out your tank and maybe apply a sealant.

Did I forget to mention I have a new gas tank?

I have taken into consideration dirty fuel, but all too often in the past i have blamed bad fuel when I dicovered bad spark plug wires as the real source of my problems.

It is of course better to avoid filling at a station when the tanker is filling the storage tanks. I learned from a station attendant who used to drive the tankers that the fuel cleanliness is monitored on a regular basis and fuel has driers to prevent rusting the storage tanks.

They use filters on the pumps so the chance of dirt in your tank is low.

In my situation I put a brand new tank in last summer with new filters, and the pump was noisy still.

As I said before i swapped out several of my old spare pumps- they are all noisy.

These are old Vanagon pumps 15-20 years old. They wear out.

As I said before I took one apart and the brushes had worn a deep groove in the commutator . The pump gears wear out also so it's really for me now a question of buying a new pump.

The new tank has a big screen and this is not clogged with crud, otherwise the engine would not even run.

I slice my old filters in half to check for dirt- since the new tank , no dirt or rust.

I use clean system three, not filth system four, after all.

Robert K

1982 Westfalia

-

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page � FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/