Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Apr 2004 18:33:17 -0600
From:         Paul & Becky Oliver <oliver8@TDS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dragging front brakes...why? how?
Comments: To: David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>

> I've also heard of brake hoses collapsing internally and causing this. > They create a sort of check-valve effect -- the high pressure when you step on the pedal can easily push through, but then the fluid has > difficulty returning to the master cylinder. > > David Brodbeck, N8SRE

You are quite right. I have found this condition quite often in older vehicles. It could be caused by the natural deterioration (aging) of the hose material or by the pulling or "yank" on the brake line when the calliper falls during brake work.

The outside may look okay, but look near a crimp fitting, you might find a bulge. The hose may also have a soft, "mussy" feel to it. You won't always see any signs of internal damage on the outside of the hose. The damage is all on the inside and a flap or "check valve" action can occur.

To make a quick check, remove the caliper from the vehicle and apply pressure by using a "C" clamp (you may have to bridge duel pistons) making sure your are pressing the piston evenly in.

If you meet a great amount of resistance or can't move piston, open the "bleeder." Now reapply pressure, if it sprays out the bleeder and now you are able to easily press the piston in, it is most likely that the brake hose is damaged internally.

Replace hose and retest. If you still are unable to "force" fluid back into the master cylinder, you may have dirt in your lines (system) or your master cylinder is bad.

Paul