Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Apr 2004 20:48:26 -0500
From:         "Warren.K.Lail-1" <wlail@OU.EDU>
Subject:      Sick engine

Hi all,

I've ran out of things to do to get Ole Bill Bones running well. He took me to Santa Fe and back last weekend, but ran sort of doggy the whole way. Averaged 14.5 mpg. Had to keep my foot in it the whole way. The clicking sound I had on the left side, which I earlier thought to be an exhaust leak, must be more, because I've replaced all of the exhaust seals and it is still there, only now it is more like a knock. As you all know, I've replaced every component on this engine and I just can't seem to get it to run right.

Today I disconnected the plug wire on #3 cylinder and no change in the idle. I've got spark and fuel, but little or no power from #3. And that's where the clicking sound has been coming from all along. I'll check compression tomorrow. I've spent all the time and money that I can spend on this engine. It's time to call Leonard at AVP. Hope that warranty really means something! The last engine I bought from Leonard was the best I've ever owned (a 2.0 liter air-cooled that I drove more than 150,000 miles!). I'm confident that I'll get a good engine from AVP again. Leonard and Erin are good people.

Be a thinkin' 'bout ole Billy Bones as he goes through this process, wishin' him luck and all.

Warren 88 Westy "Billy Bones" (back in dry dock) 87 GL "Long John"