Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:56:44 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: ultimate sleeper porsche rusting van -- just for fun post,
              skip if you ar...
Comments: To: David Brodbeck <gull@gull.us>

I don't see a unique paint scheme any more crazy than Porsche engines in lead sleds or $1800.00 alloy 17" inch wheels on Vanagons. It's pretty hard to have a good time driving a 66 VW Bus around Texas without air conditioning or getting on the highway with cars and 18 wheelers running 80 + Mph. So anything that can make driving one more fun is on the table as reasonable. I had a set of murals from Movie Banners of "The Illustrated Man", a 1969 Rod Steiger classic. It was my plan to transfer the Tattoos in the mural to a Splittie bus I had ........... Thus inventing the "Illustrated VAN". Sure pure corn! But something like that would be a sure hit at Burning Man or any of VW event throughout the country. "but I question the guy's sanity" ............. ask Vanagon owners how they justify investing the full price of the van again within 1 year of buying their van, or buying a $4000.00 engine job for a van that can be replaced for less and probably with a later model. I watch Porsche 912 buyers pay $3600.00 for a restorable car when they can buy a decent 912 daily driver for $5000.00. Clearly it's going to cost them $5000.00 and several years of hard work to restore what they bought.

Stan Wilder http://www.engineceramics.com/

-----Original Message----- From: David Brodbeck [mailto:gull@gull.us] Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 1:31 PM To: Stan Wilder Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: ultimate sleeper porsche rusting van -- just for fun post, skip if you ar...

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Stan Wilder wrote:

> One fellow was creative enough to have a pristine cream colored 66 bus and > he had painted rust on the most popular spots for rust. > >From 50 - 100 + feet away it looked like a real rust bucket but up close it > was easy to see that a talented air brush artist had created an optical > illusion.

Sort of the Volkswagen equivalent of those bullet hole decals, eh?

That's really clever, but I question the guy's sanity. Takes all kinds, I guess. ;)

David Brodbeck, N8SRE '82 Volkswagen Diesel Westfalia '86 Volvo 240DL wagon