Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:18:10 EDT
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: back heat removal, comparative experiences among my vans
Comments: To: sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET

In a message dated 4/12/2004 9:30:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time, sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET writes:

<< Basic physics - larger pipes and openings have much less resistance than smaller ones. >>

Perhaps I should have been more specific. Smaller openings under equal pressure will move fluid faster than a pipe with a larger diameter. Add to that the shorter run of the smaller pipes. I don't want to get into discussion about Poiseuille's law and other matters esoteric relative to Vanagon maintenance. There is another time and place for that. I'd like to keep discussions to a level that most people understand. (Don't Killer Juniper jumping in saying I am not smart enough to know how to prune shrubs.)

Nothing is ever absolute as far as I am concerned (except a certain Vodka). You can plug your heater hoses together and not have any problems at all. What I am saying is you are more likely to encounter problems with the arrangement that you propose instead of simply plugging the hoses.

So small short hose vs. long large hose. Fluid, fluid where shall you go. You can go faster in the small one. Slower but in larger volume in the big pipe. Oops! Your still flowing in the big pipe but some of you have taken the shortcut via a new bypass through a much shorter pipe. Yeah, that's the ticket. Short run and turn around. No laminar flows and viscosity considerations. We'll, just ignore the effect of gravity too. Not significant enough. Leaving that to Killer Juniper.

BenT