Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Apr 2004 19:29:16 -0700
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stranded in Olympic Peninsula WA - and motor request

First off, thank you to everyone who called and tried to call. The help was very much appreciated from everyone.

I am back in Vancouver, BC now, with the van sitting at Helmet's German Auto in Bremmerton, WA. Diagnosis still seems to be a siezed rod bearing (but the guy didn't spend a ton of time diagnosing). What looks to be my current best option is to go back to a stock motor (either 1.9 or 2.1, honestly i don't really care) and either sell, part, or something, my power motor (120 horse!) to recoup the costs. The guy at the shop found a good used 1.9 with 180lbs compression all the way around for... gulp... $1200, which seems like a hell of a lot of money for a used wbx. Are there any more reasonably priced motors out there in the greater seattle area? It has to have at least a few years left in it, and good head gaskets would be swell, too (only some pun intended).

Feel free to e-mail or call me at: 604-738-3695 (home) 604-473-2690 (work)

I would have rather had my van towed to a list members' shop, but none of you are on the peninsula! Anyway, if anyone has a lead on a replacement motor for less than the above mentioned premium price, i'd appreciate it.

-Damon

p.s. moral of the story is to go simple on your first engine build...

--- Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > My first engine build didn't go so well. The van is > on the side of the road on Sandy Shore Lake Rd right > off Hiway 104 near the Hood Canal Bridge. Any > suggestions on how to get it someplace that can do > some work on it? Maybe in the greater Seattle area, > or some safe place to store it until arrangements > can > be made to get it in for repair? I'm thinking it > may > be a rod bearing that is wrong. The engine will > only > rotate partially.

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) w/2.3L WBX (well... it was worth a shot. And now it is.)