Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:38:59 -0400
From:         Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      9000 mile trip report- positive

Hi Folks, Between march 14th and april 12, I drove my 4 sp 1988 GL 9,193 miles. Fully loaded down with gear, we criss-crossed the Northeast, Midwest, and South, driving every day to a different city. Average MPG was 20-21, and the only repair required was the replacement of a short length of fuel line behind the firewall, directly above the starter, along with 3 oil changes(castrol 20w50) and some spray lube on the gear linkages and new suspension parts. Before leaving I put on Bridgestone Turanza 215/70R14's, and ended up running them @ 38psi in the front, and 42 in the rear(measured cold with the van loaded), and this seemed to work well for the long-distance drives. Along with new control arm bushings, upper ball joints and shocks, this made it feel like a completely different vehicle, and was a little hard to get used to. I'm happy with the larger size though, and the decrease in quickness off of stops and harder parallel parking was more than off-set by the ability to run lower RPMs for highway speeds. I tried to do some speedometer correction for the larger tire size, seemed like around 5% below actual speed. If that's true, I guess I can adjust the odometer and MPG numbers upward. Had my first real experience with wind, driving west from Chicago to Des Moines. Five hours of holding the wheel at 2 o'clock, felt like sailing in really rough seas. MPG dropped to 12. I'm not sure if this was more difficult with the new tires and pressures- it may have been just a really extreme situation. As some of you may know, I almost bailed on the van earlier this year. Leaks of all kinds, low financial resources, and no option of losing days on the planned trip (I'm a touring musician). Any mechanic I'd gone to (except Dennis Haynes who took care of the front end) would say that it simply wasn't worth repairing. I ended up sticking with it though, doing most of my own work, and am glad of my decision. I know I've been lucky, but some luck is always required on a trip like this one. We met tons of great people, saw many really beautiful places, and played the best music we knew how every night. Thanks to everyone on the list; there is no way I could have taken the van this far without your collective knowledge.

-Matt Sutton 88 GL Brooklyn NY