Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:21:08 -0400
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Of blown coolant hoses and old radiators
Comments: To: Barry Muller <ekab_muller@sbcglobal.net>

sorry I misread the part about the pressure cap ----- Original Message ----- From: Barry Muller To: ROBERT DONALDS Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 8:54 PM Subject: Re: Of blown coolant hoses and old radiators

Hi Bob,

Well, it is a new pressure cap, direct from VW. I had to replace the old one when I accidently (foolishly) applied too much pressure on the nipple while trying to unscrew it. I'll see if I can get a coolant pressure tester this weekend - after I resolve the leaky pipe to hose connection.

Thanks,

Barry

ROBERT DONALDS wrote:

Barry with a coolant pressure tester connected to the cold engine start the engine if it gets to 14 pds in the first few minutes then the inner head gaskets are leaking combustion pressure into the cooling system and why would you run an old pressure cap if you suspect the cooling system is over pressurizing itself BUY NEW Bob ----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry Muller" <ekab_muller@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 9:24 PM Subject: Of blown coolant hoses and old radiators

Hello folks,

My 1991 has been popping coolant hoses off as of late. First it was the center top frm the thermostat housing, then the front connection right at the point where the hose connects to the plastic pipe (roughly under the front seats). Replaced the hose clamps each time but the leak has started at the hose pipe junction again (after only ca. 50 miles). Now this connection is the line that goes to the bottom of the radiator - if that matters.

This is a new rebuilt engine with less than 4,000 miles - all new hoses in the engine bay, new water pump, new thermostat and a new cap on the coolant reservoir (not the over flow tank) and lots of other new things that don't relate to the cooling system too. The coolant looks OK, so I don't think the coolant system is being charged with exhaust gases, so I'm guessing maybe the 13 year old radiator is plugged? Got a new radiator which I hope to swap into the van this weekend.

Q1) Is there any other problem taht could result in producing thes aforementioned symptoms?

Q2) Do I have to get plastic ($$$$) VW pipes to replace the old ones under the van, or has someone figured out a replacement taht is cheaper and better?

Thanks in advance.

I love this van, but I'm sure glad I got a 2003 EV MV to cart the family around.

bem