Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:50:49 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Want to put tint on windows and looking for thoughts and
              opinions
Comments: To: Doug in CA <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>

Doug, I don't know of any state that cares one way or another about how dark the tint is provided that the front window is clear, and the driver and passenger windows allow sufficient light to meet the state standards for light transmission on those windows. What is required on those two windows varies a little from state to state but not much.

So far as metal tint is concerned, I think you are referring to tint that "appears" metallic and has a highly reflective surface, so reflective that you cannot see through it. That really is not "metallic" tint in the truest sense. The industry refers to a metallic tint as one that is "metal sputtered". That is, the tint has a thin coating of metal that is so thin that it can be seen through. This is the tint film that gives you true solar protection by blocking the UV, but not the visible light. Because it does not block the visible light, only the ultra violet, it is legal, provided the coating allows the required percentage of light through it. At the required percentage of visible light, you still have the UV protection. The visible light issue is there because to be able to see anything at all, light must reflect off of what is seen. In other words, if there was someone in a car, and they absorbed all the visible light that passed through the glass and the tint, they would appear to be a flat featureless black. Same is true of the tint. If no visible light passes through the tint and the glass, the glass appears black and you cannot see who is sitting on the other side. So the law requires a minimum percentage of light to be able to pass through the tint so police officers can see clearly the persons in the the car, and the driver can clearly see what is going on around him.

A good quality metal sputtered tint will have a little reflectivity, but will meet the standards of the law, will block the UV, and will have a life of 5 to 7 years without fade or color change. Metal sputtered films will not turn purple or crack and peel, but they will begin to fade just a bit towards the end of just after the end of their warranted lifespan.

There are several things to watch out for.

Go only to a reputable shop. Cheap is not necessarily the best. In this case you are going to get what you [pay for. Get only a film that is made by a company with a Nationwide distributorship. Get only a film that has a warranty that will be serviced at any authorized shop anywhere in the country. My son has run a tint business for nearly 20 years, and these are the points he has recommended. His business is based on quality tint, and quality installations, and has now had 5 generations of cars within families pass through his doors. He has a huge repeat business because of his customer service. Do a little research and you should be able to locate someone in your area that can and will offer the same service. His is not a cut-rate business, yet he has survived some hard times, while other shops in the region have disappeared. That says a lot about his approach. Customer service is absolutely first and foremost, and he uses only the finest tint. Doesn't pay to do it otherwise.

Good luck,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver