Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:26:33 -0700
From:         Tobin Copley <tcopley@SFU.CA>
Subject:      Re: part needed: diesel tranny
Comments: To: Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@umich.edu>

Thanks for mentioning the option, but in my case (heh) at least, I need the lower gearing the stock diesel tranny offers. For folks who upgrade a diesel vehicle to a more powerful diesel engine (or a gas I-4), I've heard that swapping in an air-cooled transmission (and cutting down in input shaft to fit) works well. My little stock diesel mill couldn't push the air-cooled's taller gears.

Call me an odd bird, but the stock 48HP 1.6L NA diesel with the lower diesel gearing is just fine for pushing my westy. Slowly. Maybe when the kids are older (and heavier!) I'll think of upgrading to a 1.9, 1.9TD, or mechanical-pump TDI...

T.