Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:03:18 -0400
From:         Kevin <antelopewesty@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: auxillary battery losing charge in 89 Westy
Comments: To: DanielCRoberts@AOL.COM

Dan, Check the archives from like 2 weeks ago there was a discussion on this very topic. Seems with your set up it can't charge the optima fast enough. I think you need an isolator but check the archives for the brand people have had sucess with for the optima. Good Luck Kevin 87 Westy Burlington VT

I installed an Optima Yellow top deep cycle as an auxillary battery in my 89 Westy 4 speed. I followed wiring instllation instructions I found at a Vanagon FAQ at vanagon.com.

I toook the 2 red wires from the fuse box behind the drivers seat (fridge and cabin light) and attached these to the + terminal on the Yellow Top. I also ran a 10 gauge wire from the + terminal on the battery to terminal #30 on the existing factory relay. This terminal is supposed to supply current to charge the auzillary battery when the van is running. I also connected a ground strap (#10 wire was used throughout this installation) for the auxillary battery to a screw I had inserted in the side of the battery box.

My fridge and cabin light work with this new source of electricity but the auxillary battery seems to recharge very slowly when I run the engine. For example, I turned the engine off and ran the refrigerator for several hours. Then I drove the van for an hour with the refrigerator still running. When I stopped, I found that the caution lights (above the fridge) that monitor battery power returned to a yellow condition as soon as I turn the engine off. Shouldn't an hour of driving be enough to fully recharge the auxillary battery or am I expecting too much? I have no previous experience with deep cycle batteries or auxillary batteries.

I would appreciate your comments and experience.