Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Apr 2004 19:17:50 -0700
From:         "J. Harvey" <jtharvey2@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] Hot Water for a Westy

The DIY westy water heater has me thinking.....

How about a small pump that circulates the water into the engine bay where it is heated by the thermal engery given off by the exhaust system or engine block?

High temp lines could be routed near the heat source with precaution or a "cold plate" mounted to the block or muffler. (traditional cold plates are used to cool beverages, basically an aluminum slab which the warm tastey beverage flows through while it is submerged in an ice bath.....god bless'um)

It would be very important to know the max temps. Otherwise you could end up making steam, pressurizing the system, and blowing up your van....kinda scary. Does anyone know of a hot location in the engine bay that never ever surpasses the boiling point of water (212F/100C)? There has to be an obvious answer to that. If not it sounds like a job for the IR thermometer.

Thermostat control is another topic.

I personally would avoid splicing into the coolant system of my van. The system has enough challenges as it is. Plus, I don't like blue, phosphate free showers.

John

'85 Silver Sunroof '91 GTi 2.0 8v '76 BMW 2002

_________________________________________________________________ Persistent heartburn? Check out Digestive Health & Wellness for information and advice. http://gerd.msn.com/default.asp