Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:31:25 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: adjusting rear brakes
Comments: To: Oxroad@AOL.COM

Jeff,

I don't know about vanagons per se (have changed and adjusted rear shoes but never had a problem with them) but I have adjusted the rear (and front) drums on dozens of other cars in my life: crank the shoes down just til you can't turn the drums by hand. Then back off til you can. Drive a few mile and check for drag (just jack the wheel and rotate, you'll hear if there's drag) before going on a long trip.

If this isn't working for you, then the problem probably isn't with your adjustment mechanism.

Jim