Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:21:30 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: NVC  Virus Complaints
Comments: To: vw4x4@FYI.NET

Eric, I started getting blasted with viruses and worms as well, about two weeks or so ago. I got rid of my AVG (Grissoft) Antivirus and added Norton. I added Spy-Bot, then ran them both. Cleaned my machine of all adware files, cookies, and Norton picked up and identified 14 different viruses, worms, and trojans, and I got rid of those. I have had only one virus since then, and Norton caught it.

I still have two threats onb my machine. One is a Zipped file that has a trojan in it. I haven't opened it yet, but will do so when I need the file. I know what the trojan is all about now and know how to deal with it, so I don't feel threatened. The other is a spyware file that I have been unable to remove. I am still working on it. I have even gone into the registry and deleted it from the registry listing, but the damn thing is still there. It is a file that attaches as part of that piece of sh*t Microsoft Explorer. Probably 8 out of the 14 files that I deleted were spyware associated with Explorer.

I never use Explorer except on a "have to" basis where some websites and some servers won't deliver to me unless I use Explorer. I have always even from the old days Used Netscape, but since AOL has come into possession of Netscape, it has become a piece of advertising crap. Just like AOL's other browser software.

I have recently dumped Netscape and now use Mozilla, both the browser and the e-mail cliet program. Popups and other problems have simply disappeared.

The thing that finally prompted me to go to Mozilla was the fact that Netscape has gotten unstable and not long ago it crashed, taking all my account info with it. Lost my address book, important e-mails I had saved, all my bookmarks. I didn't have a backup. There is no convenient way to back up Netscape that I know of. Or any other browser/e-mail program for that matter .... at least in my experience. BUT .................. Mozilla provides a backup program with the browser and the e-mail client program that allows you to conveniently back up the whole thing periodically. I now do the backup once a week. It is very easy with the Mozilla backup program.

By the way, to be most effective in worm and virus hunting, at least if you are running XP, is to turn the restore point feature off, adn "unhide" all hidden files, including system files. Then run your anti-virus and anti spy-ware programs. Delete all the viruses, worms, spyware and cookies necessary, then reset everything.

BTW, that file I cannot get rid of is called "bd.dll". So far I have not been able to crack it, but I will. I'll not have someone putting a program on my computer without me knowing, and then set it so I cannot remove it. In a sense that is a kind of rape!!! It's sort of like "I'm gonna do you and you can't do anything about it!!"

Really pees me off!!! I will get it off there even if I have to reformat my hard drive.

BTW, I have learned that Trojans are more often spyware than anything else, and they are usually set to "turn on" when you start a program .... they are added to the start program in the software, and sometimes even added to the start program in Windows. Most of the time they are harmless to the computer -- most of the time, but not always. They primarily track your actions. And I hate snoopers so I go after these things aggressively and with diligence.

Good Luck with your worm and virus killing expedition.