Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:54:53 -0700
From:         Jeff at Vanagonparts <jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Doka on eBay
Comments: To: Larry and Avery <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>

Since it hasn't been registered, it hasn't been officially imported into the US. Federal importation laws require that any (except Canadian) vehicle 25 years and newer be imported by a Registered Importer. It is the RI's responsibility to modify the vehicle to US standards (both safety and EPA).

I'm guessing the Doka on eBay was brought in by a German resident for use in the US, hence the German plates, because it would be far easier to sell if it had US plates and registration. If this is the case, then as far as the US is concerned the vehicle still needs to go through customs, EPA and DOT certification.

I hope whomever buys that Doka has done their homework.

Cheers,

Jeff