Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Apr 2004 06:27:38 -0700
From:         Jake Beaulieu <jake_beaulieu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1980 Thermostat
Comments: To: "Justin M.Mayrand" <jmayrand@USADATANET.NET>

The thermostat on my 1982 Westy is shot. I removed it and simply let the cooling flaps spring back to their default position. Stan, if I read your e-mail correctly it looks like you feel that it is better not to have the airflaps at the default position. I sorda suspected this myself. It looks like at the default position the cooling flaps pretty well close off the oil cooler duct. What position do you tie off your cooling flaps at? By the way. I just received the catalog from California Imports (www.cip1.com) and they have a limited number of thermostats for the 1980-83 air cooled vanagons. They are pricey, about $60 if memory serves correctly. Jake 1982 air cooled Westy

"Justin M.Mayrand" <jmayrand@USADATANET.NET> wrote: Hey All,

I bought a new one from my local VW dealer last summer, it was about $20. I have found the SuperVan still takes a long time to warm up even with a functional T-stat.

Justin M. Mayrand 1980 Westy "SuperVan"