Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:52:52 -0400
From:         Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      87 syncro westy maiden voyage and bad news

hey all, i just got back from the maiden voyage with my 87 syncro westy project. i drove from west fork MT to Bozeman MT round trip. results were 500 total miles, 18 average MPG (better then i thought it would get!) and she drove so smooth through snow and mud and hummed beautifully on the highway. well, once i reached bozeman i felt the binding of my rear wheels on very tight turns. after reading derek drews posts on the syncro.org webpage i knew my vc must be on its way out. i let the van sit over night and the next day she was fine on tight turns, that is until i drove home and after 4 hours of highway driving, i finally made a tight turn into a gas station. severe binding or scrubbing occured. fortunately i was pretty much home at this point so no further driving was necessary. i am guessing it has to be the vc. here is my thoughts, when i first bought this van to restore back in august the cvs were the first thing i removed to inspect. the rear cvs were very badly damaged. the cage in the cv's which hold the balls in place, was cracked and ready to disinegrate. i had no idea why. well, now i know, the PO must have been driving her on a bad vc and allowed the binding to occur so much that it wrecked these cv joints. is that normal for a bad vc to do that? well, i have since replaced those cv's but now when i felt the binding, i had thought i could hear some popping or cracking going on back there, could this be my cvs? i am now going to take Derek Drew's advice and remove the center drive shaft so i can atleast drive the van until i can afford a new vc. can i still use rear diif lock? my question is this: how do i get the bolts loose from the drive shaft? i can not get a wrench, or socket to seat in the bolt itself where it connects to front diff. the nut i can get my socket wrench on, but only with a elbow or univeral joint attached to the wrench. well, with this tool setup i am looking at potentially stripping something out. it seems so easy but i can not get the tools to work for me here. any special tools? any help? who has done this and has a fool proof method to give me before i strip something. also, bentely says to loosen the front diff mounts, is this necessary? TIA jason 87 syncro westy project 90 gl 4 sale

_________________________________________________________________ Lose those love handles! MSN Fitness shows you two moves to slim your waist. http://fitness.msn.com/articles/feeds/article.aspx?dept=exercise&article=et_pv_030104_lovehandles