Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:35:28 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Electrical issue - 1987 Syncro GL
Comments: To: Don in Phoenix <02BuellS3T@cox.net>
Comments: cc: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

Check the ground connections above the fuse box. The headlights share a common terminal which heats up and burns out. Better yet, attach the ground wires coming out of the headlights to the sheet metal directly under the grill.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Don in Phoenix [mailto:02BuellS3T@cox.net] Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 3:46 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Cc: Syncro@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Syncro] Electrical issue - 1987 Syncro GL

Hello all -

I am having an electrical issue with my Syncro, and thought that perhaps someone on the list has had this in the past (searched the archives, didn't find anything that "jumped" out at me).

Issue # 1 - No headlights. Parking lights and gauge lights work in both headlight switch positions.

Issue # 2 - No windshield wipers. Not in intermitant, slow or fast switch positions.

No fuses blown that I can find. Bentley on order, but it will be a few days. Are there any electrical diagrams on line for this? I am an electrician, but without the diagrams I'm just guessing...hand over handing the wiring harness would take a long time too...

When I bought this van, a PO had wired a jumper from one of the connections on the small plug in the steering wheel area (from wiper switch I presume) to somewhere on the headlight switch. With the jumper, I had headlights (in BOTH headlight switch positions!!) and windshield wipers, but ONLY when the headlight switch was all the way on. When I pulled the dash apart checking the clock (still doesn't work, probably will replace) the jumper wire came off of the headlight switch. As it was apparently just wedged in there, I can't tell what terminal it was connected to. I would MUCH rather fix this right anyway, then jumper the wiring harness as the PO did. At least I know from when it had the jumper that the wiring is good from the headlight switch to the headlights, and from the windshield wiper switch to the wiper motor.

Don in Phoenix, AZ

Yahoo! Groups Links