Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:37:34 -0600
From:         Matt Slater <mathuela@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      problems on the road

So let me give you a quick history of my "new" 89 Vanagon GL. So far I've replaced the heads, water pump, the pipe that connects the pump to thermostat, temp relay in the radiator, temp sender, and finally the distributor.

Now here's my new problems. 1) On a drive from Flagstaff to Moab the oil pressure light and buzzer come on once the engine is heated up quite a bit, it only happens when going up a hill and the RPMs drop below about 2600 or when slowing down when approaching a town and again the RPMs drop down. As soon as the RPMs go back up (downshifting) the buzzer and light go back out.

2) The idle is all crazy. When I start the engine it does better but after warming up it really starts to jump around a lot until it dies. Also, when I come to a stop and push the cluth down the van cuts out also. Everytime it does this it just fires right back up but the idle is still all crazy.

3) The van seems to be running a bit hot before the fan turns on. I've seen it go up to about 7/8 of the way up before the fan comes on. Now I thought that replacing the relay in the radiator and the temp sender would alleviate this (of course they were both bad anyways so they had to be replaced). Coolant isn't leaking anywhere. I'm just getting kind of tired of driving through the desert with my heat on full blast.

Any suggestions on what may be the problem or if this thing is safe to drive back to Flagstaff (about 300 miles) would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/