Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:48:40 -0700
From:         Greg Irick <gregi@VWTYPE3.ORG>
Subject:      Just Bought My First Westy and I'm completely STOKED (long)

Hi Everyone,

I just bought my '80 Westy and I'm really excited about it. Unfortunately, 2 and a half years ago the PO's daughter was driving it and it had just started to rain after a dry spell (you can probably guess where this is going). Well, she comes down 11th ST in Bremerton, WA (which is downhill) and makes a left turn onto Warren Ave. (a major street) and spins the Westy around hitting the right rear wheel against the curb hard enough that she breaks the stub axle and drops the Westy down onto the right rear backing plate (Ouch). They had the Westy towed home and that is where it has sat for the last 2 and a half years.

Now here is my requests, does anyone have a stub axle, an axle nut, and a passenger side rear backing plate for an '80 Vanagon? These are really the only parts I need right away so I can trailer my new Westy home and start all of the other work on her that I would like to do before putting her back on the road. Other work that I'm planning on doing to make her road worthy again is replacing all rubber fuel lines, replacing the front brake pads and rear brake shoes, replacing the rear wheel brake cylinders, and replacing the poptop and luggage rack seals, and replacing both batteries (main and accessory).

I also need to replace the tires and wanted to get the lists opinions on which tire is the best out of either the 195/75R14 Yokohama Y370 with a D load range and the 27X8.5QR14 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's with a C load range, which do you think is the better tire. I plan on using my Westy for camping and fly fishing in the National Forest's and State and National Parks in WA, OR, and maybe some camping up in Canada.

As for general condition, she is in pretty good condition. The poptop screen is in great shape with no holes. The appliances look like they have never been turned on (I think the PO had a clean fetish). I need to replace the rear bumper due to some damage and do a little touch up paint work on the rear hatch, but other than that she is a very clean Westy.

Still haven't thought of a name for her yet, I figure that will happen in due course of the repairs and driving her around and may not happen until the first camping trip.

Sorry for the length but as you can tell I'm pretty excited about my purchase. If any listees are in the Bremerton/Silverdale, WA area give me a shout off list and we could get together for coffee/lunch/dinner or whatever.

Greg Irick Silverdale, WA gregi@vwtype3.org

'65 Notchback with a Britax sliding rag top '73 Pro-Street Bug '80 Westy '88 16V Scirocco (currently for sale) '00 Jetta VR6 (Yes, I have a lot of VW's)