Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:41:06 -0500
From:         Paul & Becky Oliver <oliver8@TDS.NET>
Subject:      Re: how do you break into a vanagon?
Comments: To: Jim Heissenbuttel <jim@HEISSENBUTTEL.COM>

I was waiting to see if any others knew about this. I used to work regularly with a locksmith and he told me that most insurance companies would pay for the “credit card” key because it saved them money in the long run. They don’ t take up much space, work well but after maybe 50 times they will show some ware. He also told me, if you hide a key on the vehicle and it gets stolen your insurance company may not pay out, sighting you with negligence.

If you have had or believe you may get “jacked” or stolen, they are a number of simple kill switch devices that can be easily installed. We used to install one that worked by melting the connection. Thus killing the engine after 15 minutes it would reset itself. No fuses to replace just a flip of the right switch.

Or we would install fake switches (labeled heater or fog lights, etc) on the dash and if you stated the car with them in the wrong position They could do any number of things from not allowing the engine to start, to killing the engine or blowing the horn and flashing lights, etc.

Paul ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Heissenbuttel" <jim@HEISSENBUTTEL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 7:06 PM Subject: Re: how do you break into a vanagon?

If you have AAA, they will make you a nice "credit card" key that you can keep in your wallet or purse or whatever. Its made of plastic, but the key portion has a metal rib in it to keep it stiff enough to turn the lock tumblers. I would not recommend it for daily use, as it would wear down pretty quickly. But, it does work in emergencies.

jh