Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:28:32 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil cooler
Comments: To: jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM

You got to ask yourself or the list and even the type2 list folks; How many people are running the single aftermarket cooler? There are things that work for 30 days but long term don't work out so good. I'm going to say that the VW oil cooler configuration on my 76 Porsche 912e at 28 years old and my 83 Westy at 21 years old were properly designed with the cooler on the rear of the engine with a bypass valve in the filter mount and bypass valves in the engine case. I'm more that willing to sit back and wait for the long term reports to come back from the folks that run the one accessory type cooler. (If you're not personally running one you shouldn't just up and tell anybody else to take a chance!) When individuals install an external cooler using the EMPI sandwich plate they seldom know that they are supposed to block the OEM oil bypass in the oil filter mount. The EMPI and Bug Pack sandwich plate don't come with any instructions. If an accessory cooler is installed and the OEM cooler completely eliminated I'd just guess that there needs to be provisions to raise the bypass pressure in the oil filter mount. So until I see viable scientific procedures that tell me that I can eliminate the OEM oil cooler, OEM oil pressure bypass I'm going to stick with the VW configuration. As far as cooling air to the cylinders, I can only suggest that someone install 4 CHT gauges and report back to us on their readings with stock cooler and then with the new configuration.

Stan Wilder

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff at Vanagonparts" <jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 12:26 AM Subject: Re: Oil cooler