Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:02:20 -0400
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil cooler
Comments: To: David and Shirin <daveshirin@ENERGYUNITED.NET>
Comments: cc: Skip Emmert-Keaton <skip@SKIPEMMERT.COM>

Skip and fellow vanagon types

The problem with the removal of the stock cooler is that you can conceivably cook the engine in some conditions first if the you pull off the highway with the engine at full oil temp with the heads screaming hot. If you then are sitting in stop and go traffic the cooling fan is not spinning fast enough to cool the heads and with no cooler in the fans air stream the engine oil will continue to absorb heat the oil temp can continue to climb. The remote cooler can't dissipate enough heat fast enough because the oil pump does not have the volume at idle or low speeds to circulate the oil to and from the remote cooler.

In my days at the race track I've seen air-cooled engines reduced to junk just by driving them at a slow speed back to the trailer after a 15 lap race this short trip pinned the head and oil temp gauges. The remote cooler and all the scoops in the world did not prevent allot of damage. The sad part was the we did not think anything of it until the next race when the engine was way down on power and and was not the least bit competitive. Yes the engine ran it had good oil pressure and compression but it needed to be rebuilt restore power. This is the way the air-cooled engines degrade over time unlike the water cooled engine that dumps its coolant at the first trip out of its narrow band of survivable temp range.

The top hole is in for oil flow from the cooler

give the engine a cool down period before getting off the highway slow down and let the engine loose some heat good luck

going faster miles an hour with the radio on I remain Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David and Shirin" <daveshirin@ENERGYUNITED.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 7:41 AM Subject: Re: Oil cooler

I have a 1982 aircooled westy and have installed a huge oil cooler from an RX7 above the tranny with four4 1/8 computer fans blowing across it. If your farmiliar with the Rx7 cooler you know how huge it is. It has a built in thermostat that opens at about 180 deg. I was wondering if I should remove my stock cooler and just block off the hole in the engine tin providing more air to cylinders 3 and 4. What is the benifit of the keeping the stock cooler in place? I have more than enough reserve cooling capacity now.

David 1982 aircooled

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:48:43 -0400 From: ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET> Subject: Re: Oil cooler

DON'T REMOVE THE STOCK COOLER use the oil filter adapter from bus boys and get the oil stat while your at it. I have many engine out there right now that have there set up and are very pleased. The oil cooler is best placed above the trany to prevent road damage and this location provide ample air circulation to keep the oil temps at 180f on a hot summer day. Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Skip Emmert-Keaton" <skip@SKIPEMMERT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 6:41 PM Subject: Oil cooler