Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:11:24 -0700
From:         Norm - RoweBoat <norm@ROWEBOAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 hose price deal NVC

I used to work in the Parts Dept. at an Olds/Cadillac, GMC Truck dealership. Our prices were across the board 60% cost, 40% markup. So even if we sold to someone at a 35% discount, we still had a %5 margin. Not much, but most grocery stores operate on a 5% average profit margin.

Norm

-----Original Message----- Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:01:19 -0700 From: Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET> Subject: Re: 2.1 hose price deal NVC)

George,

Is that 35% off of the manufacturers suggested retail price, or the dealers retail, after he has recalculated with a new pricing matrix? I have spent the last 21 years in the automotive industry, most of them in dealership parts selling to wholesale accounts and none of them get 35% off of the manufacturers retail, even those that spend $140,000.00 a year. No dealer can operate at that discount level, they couldn't pay their bills. For your dealer, favorite list vendor, or local parts store to provide you with quality parts, service, and trained professional staff, they have to make a reasonable profit, you can't do that at 35% off. Many places do use a pricing matrix that recalculates the retail price, usually it is factored from cost, with lower cost items being marked up more then higher priced ones. This is why things like body clips, screws, etc, can cost so much more at the dealer, if they did not mark up the price they would lose money on every sale. One dealership I worked for once calculated that it cost $2.50 for every parts invoice generated. Your local dealer may like you enough to give you special pricing, but that would be an exception, as a rule they can't do it for everyone. Check with your local clothing, grocery, hardware, etc, stores, I guarantee that they can't operate on a margin as thin as that left after your local dealer gives you 35% off.

Mark in AK