Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:39:53 -0400
From:         Jon Schaer <jschaer@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      lifter noise after PRT replace

Looking for opinions.

I had a single pushrod tube rust through (#1 cyl) and was leaking. I decided to replace it during an oil change. Did the job per Bentley procedures, EXCEPT I didn't do the lifter readjust. I didn't even have to remove the rocker shaft; just took the nuts off and slid the rocker assm away just enough to get the pushrod out. It didn't seem like there would be any need to readjust the rockers, and my local parts shop agreed it was likely unnecessary. I reassembled very carefully; all four pushrods were seated properly on the lifters and the rocker arms. Job seemed to go perfectly.

After finishing the oil change I started the engine. After the typical seconds of lifter noise until the oil circulates, there was still one lifter clicking. It quieted a little after idling a bit, but is still pretty noticeable. Wasn't there before. Engine idles and runs otherwise identically to before. Certainly no sign that something was assembled incorrectly. Could this be a lifter bleed problem, or the valve adjustment.

Thanks,

Jon Schaer Columbus, OH 1985 GL 141,000+