Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:32:19 -0700
From:         Don in Phoenix <02BuellS3T@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Spring comes to Minnesota

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy Speer" <jspeer@POBOX.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sun 25 April 2004 18:37 Subject: Spring comes to Minnesota

> Folks, > > So spring has come to The Northland. I just bought and installed a > Fiamma F35 awning... and took the van out for its first overnight last > night. It was great... rained all night... beautiful sound on the roof. > The awning worked perfectly... kept a nice patch outside the door > completely dry. Nice to be able to keep the sliding window on the > sliding door open too. > > But... this morning when we prepared to leave, i put the key in the > ignition and heard a faint "dee dee dee" of the door ajar/seat belt > warning. The doors were closed, but i did not have my seat belt on. I > turned the key one notch and the warning came on at full volume as > expected. But once the engine was started and the normal warning > stopped i could still hear the faint warning. I killed the engine. I > could still hear it. I pulled the key out of the ignition, the faint > warning sound stopped. I put the key back in... it started again. > > I figured something must be wet and causing spurious voltage in the > system. I pulled the cover off the fuses and checked for moisture... > nope, dry. > > I figured ten minutes on the highway would do the trick, so off we > went. Van ran fine. But even after the hour long drive home when we > pulled into the driveway before killing the engine the faint "dee dee > dee" kept going. > > I just tried again after the van sat, dry, for 10 hours.... yep, put > the key in, faint "dee dee dee" starts right away. > > It's quiet enough that highway noise completely covers the faint > warning, but stop at a light and you can hear it. > > Anybody know where i might look next? > > As always, thanks. > > -jspeer > > '89 Westy GL, "Mystery Machine"

Sounds like a partial ground in the drivers door switch. Try removing the switch (one screw) and letting it hang with the door open, then put the key in. If you don't hear anything, spray the switch with WD-40, use a paper towel to dry it, then reinstall it into the door frame. If you don't hear the warning anymore, it probably had been wet (the WD-40 will displace the water).

You can also upgrade to the newer style "sealed" switches.

Don in Phoenix, AZ