Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:54:39 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil filter Wrench
Comments: To: Rob Campbell <rob@PHEMP.COM>

If you are using the correct oil filter --- Malhle or Mann -- then you do not need a strp wrench or anoy of those weird things you find at various parts houses.

The Mann/Mahle filter is shaped like a big nut. Go to Walmart and check the oil filter and tool section . There you will find a filter wrench that is shaped like and sized for "The Big Nut" shape of the Mann or Mahle filter. The wrench accepts a 3/8" ratchet driver and makes it as easy as sin to remove the filter. If you have another filter on your van right now other than the Mann or Mahle, drive a screw driver through it and give it a twist, or get a bisg strap wrench, but DO NOT put anything back on it but the Mann or Mahle filter. There is an enormous anount of information in the archives about why to use only the Mann or Mahle filtes, but in a nut shell it helps eliminate the famous Vanagon Collapsed and Clattering Lifter Syndrome. Has to do with the fact the pressure relief valve spring in Mahle and Mann filters is sufficiently to hold oil gallerie pressure when the engine is shut down, where other brands are not. Result or the latter is the lifters bleed down and the engine sounds like you have a valve gone bad or a lifter has failed. Simple fix ....... install the Mahle or Mann filter. Coupled with the proper filter, you must use 20W50WT oil in a WBX engine, unless it is winter and you live in a really cold climate.

Good Luck,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver