Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:53:50 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil filter Wrench
Comments: To: rob@PHEMP.COM

In a message dated 4/27/04 8:40:29 PM, rob@PHEMP.COM writes:

<< Would someone be so kind as to suggest an appropriate oil filter wrench

for an 87 Vanagon GL? >>

The best I have found is the stamped steel, socket type made in the USA which fit the filter EXACTLY and snugly. From one to the next, oil filters seem to have a queer number of flats, so it is best to take one to the auto supply house in order to match the tool to it. I bought a decent one which fitted the Mann Vanagon right on the nuts at an Autozone.

The cast aluminum oil filter sockets I have used never worked too well. They seem to be too shallow and tend to round off the corners of the flats on the filter especially if the filter has been in place a little too long. The strap type oil filter wrench is hard to swing on a Vanagon. Also, the type that I recommended allows a filter to be removed and reused without distorting it. This might seem like a worthless feature until you have installed a new filter then 500 miles down the road it has to be removed to gain access for some work. With a Vanagon, expect the unexpected.

George