Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:53:51 -0700
From:         Steve Schwenk <steve@SYNCRO.ORG>
Subject:      - Syncro de Mayo News -
Comments: To: "syncrolist@yahoogroups.com" <syncrolist@yahoogroups.com>

Syncro de Mayo is a bit over a week away and we have an update on recent developments.

NEWS:

Volkswagen Camper & Commercial Magazine (UK) will have a representative present for a possible story on the event in a future issue. http://www.volkswagencamper.co.uk/ A paper from LA might show up as well. They expressed some interest, but nothing certain yet.

VolksCafe.com and GoWesty will be set up in the vendors area. There will be room for others to set up if they wish, including private parties with extensive parts to sell (like a few did last year). Private parties are also free to sell/swap parts from their camp sites.

The masseuse will be present commencing at 5:00 on Friday through Sunday. Massages are 10-60 minutes at $1/minute. Bring your own sheet for the massage table or pay $5 for one of Brigitte's. Make your reservations for Friday massages at pgb@dolby.com (Peter Buettner). Brigitte will take reservations for Saturday and Sunday massages on site. We will have a tent/dome set up for massages in a shady, cool area of camp.

Cris Torlasco from the WetWesties and pilot/mechanic for his Travesía Panamericana will be coming down from Eugene, Oregon (likely in a syncro) along with his German mechanic friend, Joachim. Cris and his wife took a 1982 diesel Vanagon from Oregon to Agrentina, overland the entire way except water crossings. See http://torlasco.tripod.com/panamericanaoverland/id10.html

Paul and Dot Guyzk from British Columbia will be coming in their 1972 Westy, which they have taken from north of the Arcic Circle down to Panama. See http://www.pauldottrip.com/index_northamerica.html

Detlev Hanschke from http://www.vanagonproject.com/ will be coming at least for Saturday. I will not mention the other luminaries already mentioned in previous posts, but there will be quite a roster of talent and personality in attendance this year. It is reaching critical mass.

MISC INFO:

Please, if you are going to come and have not yet registered, please at least drop me an e-mail. I know of about a dozen people who have not registered yet, but who indicated they are coming. We want to be sure to have enough chicken, beer and marked camping spaces for everyone, so please send me a heads up. It is OK to pay when you get there if you have not yet sent in your registration, just drop me an e-mail or register through paypal (send a payment along with registration info to above address). It is OK to be a last minute straggler, we will welcome you. But e-mail if you can.

We will need your cooperation when it comes to camping spaces. The campsite has room for 300 people, but the prime camping spots are not as plentiful. Please respect the areas we mark off and designate as separate camping spots. This may mean that some camps will share a common picnic table, but there will be ample room if the marked off boundaries are respected. Bring leveling wood for your van. Not all of the sites are flat.

When you arrive, after you pull into Area Five and drive up to the beginning of the camping area, park your van in the designated area (there will be a sign) and walk to find your camping spot. Only then go back and get your van. We do NOT want people endlessly circling the camp loop looking for that prime spot. That happened one year and it was a PIA for everyone. And remember, there will be young children running wild and they have the right of way at all times. You must stop for them if they cross or come close to your path of travel. Treat them as though they are a rare and wild and unpredictable endangered species. Same with the wild pigs and turkeys.

Watch out for the pigs. They will swipe your brownies quicker than greased lightening if you leave them out. They hide in the bush and wait for an opening. Last year, they mounted a coordinated raid on the final night, sending a gaggle of slightly inebriated syncronauts charging into the darkness trying to chase them away.

Please bring 1-3 pieces of firewood and a salad, side-dish, loaf of bread or bottle of wine for the Sat. BBQ dinner. Please Drive safely and do not risk falling asleep at the wheel like one participant did last year!

Thanks!

http://www.syncro.org/SdM_events.html