Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:22:39 -0500
From:         "Weibel, Pius" <weibel@ISGS.UIUC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Easiest Platform to Convert to I-4 FROM?

I would like to comment on the bed issue. I just recently put a 1.8L I-4 into my 85 westy (using a fastforward package). My decision to use a 2nd mattress was based primarily on the fact that it is significantly more comfortable than the stock mattress/flat seat combination. It really is a great improvement. I store the second mattress overhead in the pop-top opening, when I am on camping trips. It is secured there by 2 wooden slats, approximately 2mm by 2mm square, that were cut to run from the side ledges. To put the mattress up I simply put it into the opening, hold it up with my head, and insert the slats on an angle and turn them so they are 90 degrees to the side ledges. It is a very snug fit. It does block much of the sunroof, but I usually only open it when I am in camping mode with the 2nd mattress in place for the bed.

I agree with David that the 'new' storage area under the rear part of the bed creates new useful storeage space. The only downside is that with the rear mattress in place, it partially blocks the door to the storage area in back. I plan to cut the bottom off of the door below the lower hinge and rig up some method of making the bottom part an insert that is independent of the door. This way I can open the door with the mattess in place and just pull out the insert if I need to get to the lowermost shelf area.

Pius 85/92 vanajetta