Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:03:45 -0700
From:         Jason Kirk <Gojira@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      87 Vanagon GL oil spray problem

I have a newly purchased 87 Vanagon which ran like a champ on the 90 minute drive home. after having the van for a few days my wife reported a sizeable puddle of oil under the van after an hour's drive to work. She added a bit of oil and made the return trip without incident. The next day the van stalled after what seemed like a dramatic decrease in oil pressure or compression while going up a slight incline at 30 MPH. After towing the van to the local independent repair facility, they determined the cause of the failure to restart to be a faulty ignition coil. Cool. It was a relatively cheap fix. After an oil and filter change I decided to take the family to the beach for the day. Another hour's drive and everything seems fine. On the way home I experience the drop in "torque" again and then it starts surging. After pulling over I can see that I have a nice coat of oil spray over the entire rear hatch, including the window. I can't see where the oil is leaking from, but it is dripping off of the exhaust bracket at the front of the engine when it mates to the transmission. Can anyone help me with a diagnosis and prognosis? I've had terrible luck with Vanagons so far. My first caught on fire and was destroyed after 2 weeks of ownership and this one hasn't even made it that far. Oh, experienced and knowledgeable list members, please assist me in any way you can. Thank you.

Jason Kirk Murrieta, CA 1987 Vanagon GL Weekender Wolfsburg Edition