Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:01:10 -0700
From:         Mark Seifert <theburnvictims@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear hatch struts -- disposal

These have oil in them, so it's illegal and also harmful to the environment to simply throw them in the trash. I know of one way; I don't know if its the safest way, and i'm sure it's not the "appropriate" way to do it, but this is what I would do: If you can open them up with a pipe cutter, hacksaw, or even a drill, you can drain the oil out. Pump it a few times and maybe even let it sit in a bucket overnight. You can mix it with your used engine oil and dispose of that properly. When the strut is drained, it's safe to throw away. I don't know if it's worth the hassle to you or not. This is what we do with used shocks and struts at the shop where I work because the metal recyclers won't take them otherwise.

_________________________________________________________________ FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/