Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:03:02 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Engines (no expert here)

I've driven 3 Syncro Vanagons (no 2wd stuff here). I've driven with 2.1 liter engines in a Tristar, a Westy Syncro and a 7 passenger syncro. In the 7 passenger syncro I even had a new (dealer) 2.1 liter put in.

The Westy has the most tired engine (and the most weight). It manages to get around. My 7 passenger now has a Tiico engine in it. It's a blast to drive (especially when I don't have the middle seat installed).

My biggest complaints with the 2.1 liter are it's limited RPM range, and it's lack of power. The power is adequate in most urban area and urban highway driving. I find it inadequate when towing, or climbing mountains (Applachian or Rocky).

Okay, now to recitify the above reasoning. A lot of the issues with the 2.1 are the transmission gearings on the Syncros. There is such a big difference between 3rd and 4th, that you either are revving the engine too fast (in 3rd) or don't have enough torque to maintain speed (in 4th).

On US 48 (well soon to be US 48) in WV, the speed limit is 65 mph. I see that twice. Once when accelerating downhill, and once when being slowed on the uphlll. I can't maintain 65. I can't even remain in cruise control, as the engine won't even maintain 50 on the grades in 4th...at least in my Westy. My Tiico passenger is a little better. It will maintain 55 on the grades (but not 65).

I have no problem with Bob's engines (I'm frankly glad we have someone like him around). I think for most folks living in cities they are your best choice. And you'll still be allowed to get service at VW dealers, should you so dare.

But my personal uses for my Vanagons mean I need something more. And since I have no need to get rid of mine, alternative engines (be it Tiico, Subaru or something else) are something I can live with. That may not be true for others. And alternative engines (no matter the initial cost) are NOT going to be cheaper. You have the install costs, and the long term maintenance costs (not always to be measured in dollars) where you'll have to do the work yourself or have someone you can depend on for years to be there for your oddball setup.

All of this is to say, that despite all the advice members of this list can give an individual, it all comes down to your personal situation. How long are you going to keep the vehicle (5 years? 10?) What happens when you don't want it anymore? Who are you likely to sell/give it to? Are they prepared for a hybrid oddball? Do you care?

Just things to think about for anyone giving thought to a replacement engine.