Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:21:20 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Head Corrosion cause and cure? was Re: Cooling strategies,
              color coded, etc.
Comments: To: John Runberg <jrunberg@MAC.COM>
Comments: cc: Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

At 12:25 AM 4/30/2004 -0400, John Runberg wrote:

>Something causes vanagon heads to corrode, causing pits and the resulting >leaks

Ask a corrosion engineer to design a gasket system to promote corrosion and he'll hand you something like the vanagon head-to-water-jacket gasket. It's subject to large strains (about 1/64" or .5 mm) as the water jacket grows and shrinks relative to the iron cylinders, and has a flat lip that coolant can creep under -- that's not even under external pressure. When coolant *does* creep under it causes crevice corrosion -- see http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Localized/Crevice.htm -- and the corrosion products likely lift the gasket to allow the coolant to creep farther into the interior of the joint recursively.

>This topic comes up again and again and I haven't read a definative reason >heads leak.

IMO...they leak because VW built them to leak, in the course of cobbling-up an external water-cooling system for an air-cooled engine. When they enclosed the cylinders in an aluminum fish-tank with a seal subject to differential expansion between iron and aluminum, they signed their (and our) own death warrants.

>Until I do, I'll follow the directions the manual gives me. Why not?

Either a) better or b) cheaper or c) less hassle with the dealer for warranty stuff. C doesn't apply and I regard the others as Not Proven, which in Scotland means roughly "Not Guilty and don't do it again" (apologies to what's-her-name the mystery author).

I'm not aware that anyone has come up with a procedure demonstrably better than the specified one (I'm also not aware of anyone who's paid a corrosion engineer to consult on the problem). *Most* of the argument seems to be motivated by desire to avoid paying factory ransom for the coolant. The BASF engineer I spoke to about it years ago said "We make the stuff for VWAG -- we don't think the no-phosphate spec is necessary but we make it the way they want it" or words to that effect. It has been often alleged that VW's reason is that much European water is highly mineralized and would precipitate out with phosphates -- seems plausible. Also seems plausible to me that the VW engineers may have specified their alloys to meet some arcane desideratum and depended on owners to maintain the system as specified, something more likely in Germany than here. But their gasket design is so awful that ISTM it hardly matters.

Suggestion for a cure (are you listening, Stan?) -- develop a ceramic coatindcēr the seal area on both head and water-jacket, so that there's nothing there to corrode. It would have to extend far enough that its edge would be clear of any sealant applied at installation time, and to give a long path for any corrosion that does occur at its edges. If the coating is impervious and isn't subject to edge-peel that should take care of it nicely -- I think. Is there a corrosion engineer in the house?

I suspect the mechanism for head-to-cylinder pitting is also crevice corrosion, but harder to cure. Press-fitted gaskets? Square O-rings? Beats me. Seems like a much lesser problem though.

david