Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 May 2004 21:29:51 -0700
From:         "P. Stanhope" <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: wisdom of strapping surfboard to westy roof, no rack
Comments: To: Craig Oda <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO>

Sounds like it would work fine, whatever gets you and your board in the water. FYI I have old THULE gutter style racks attached to these bolt-on gutter pieces. I have transported 2 longboards and 3 shortboards stuffed inside of two boardbags with no problems. I can still pop the top with two heavy old school longboards attached to the racks. These racks can be found cheap (used) Look in the classifieds. They look good and can ad to your resale value whereas YOUR drawer handles idea might reduce your resale value...and will look cheap IMO. If you buy THULE or Yakima, make sure you buy "mini towers" instead of the super tall towers.(the lower your surfboards ride, the better.) Trust me, you will be happier with surf racks in the long run.

Good luck Phil

--- Craig Oda <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO> wrote: > I'm considering strapping a long surfboard to the > top of my westfalia > roof and am wondering about the wisdom of this. I > want to avoid the > $200 or more cost of a Thule of Yakima racks, which > I've heard works. > > Here's my idea. > > 1) Buy six drawer handles from a hardware store. > 2) Drill holes in pop top fiberglass for 3 handles > on each sides of > the roof > 3) Attach handles with 3/16" long-shank aluminum > pop rivets and large > washers to distribute rivet stress > 4) put down foam pipe insulation rolls on the roof > of the Westy to > protect the board > 5) strap the board to the roof using the handles > > In this configuration, the board would have three > straps over it. > > Reckon I'll crack the pop-top roof or lose the board > on the freeway or > on some bumpy road? The Yakima rack appears to be > bolted right into the > poptop and the rack supports the weight. If I have > the roof itself > supporting the waiting and use the drawer handle > tie-downs to hold the > board stable, it might work... You, think? > > Is there any other cheap solution for this? > > I may get a 8-10' long board. Think long..... > Summer is coming. > > Regards, > Craig

===== Phil 84' Westy...Tiico'ed 00' Cannondale MTB 95' S9 Skateboard 04' New Balance 705 All Terrain's