Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 May 2004 15:45:04 +0200
From:         Jens Jakob Andersen <jens.jakob.andersen@POST.DK>
Subject:      SV: Oildipstick marks on 2L aircooled 82 gasoline engine
Comments: To: jwalker17@earthlink.net

Hi Joel

So the high-level mark is the upper notch, not the upper twist. Thank you for the info. And the info about 0.6 liter is also very nice to have.

0.5 liter pr. 3000 km - WOW! People I have talked with here in Denmark says about 1 liter/1000 km is normal.

I have leaks from valve covers as well as push-rod tubes - but it doesnt seems severe. I have a little bit of blue smoke on engine-start, but not too much when running.

I gotta find out where all that oil goes, and then do something about it.

I am currently running SAE 10W40 oil.

Happy driving

Jens Jakob

-----Oprindelig meddelelse----- Fra: Joel Walker [mailto:jwalker17@earthlink.net] Sendt: 3. maj 2004 15:30 Til: Jens Jakob Andersen, PDI Emne: Re: Oildipstick marks on 2L aircooled 82 gasoline engine

I've just bought at 1982 Caravelle 82, 2L gasoline. The oildipstick has some amrks, and I am curious about the definition of these. There are the normal 2 "twists" at the end. Just above the lower twist there is a notch. Haldway between the 2 twists there is another notch. Does anyone know the precise (as it can be with old cars) def. of capacity between notches? I guess that the upper notch is maximum engine oil? Or is it the upper twist? It seems to be that currently the engine uses 1 liter / 300 km... So I need to find out how much I can fill in (and I do definately not want to overfill)...

the upper notch is, indeed, the maximum engine oil level. more than that and you run the risk of overheating the engine a bit (the crankshaft splashes in the oil).

the lower notch is the minimum engine oil level ... below this and you need to add oil NOW.

the difference between the two notches is listed as 0.6 liter for the 1982 models.

in my experience, a normal engine will consume about 0.5 liter per 3000 km. your consumption seems to be much too severe. :( i would check underneath to make sure the valve cover gaskets and the pushrod tube seals are not leaking. but also check to make sure you are running the proper viscosity/weight of oil!! an oil that is too 'thin' will create high consumption, too.

good luck! joel