Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 May 2004 09:51:00 -0500
From:         Andrew Gies <andrew_gies@CANGENE.COM>
Subject:      "drain hole" caps - was RE: fridge exhaust cover

I have the Westy interior out of my van, and while grinding away rust etc. on the lower seam area - I removed two plastic caps that cover holes that are open to one of the main frame support "beams" (pardon my bad terminology). This support beam is in turn permanently open on the underside of the van body (evidenced by my cleaning water dripping below the van). Should I replace these plastic caps after I complete my POR15 fix to the area? I guess there is an off chance of water splashing up through these holes from outside, and a possible vermin issue - any advice? Personally - I kinda like the idea of a permanent drain in this VERY hard to reach area. FWIW - these plastic caps are also present along the base of the inclined portion of the van underneath the rear seat - and should be visible when you raise the seat. Andrew -----Original Message----- From: RAlanen@aol.com [mailto:RAlanen@aol.com] Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 5:05 AM To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Cc: andrew_gies@CANGENE.COM Subject: Re: fridge exhaust cover

In a message dated 30/04/2004 12:54:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes: (this is probably why the rust started inside there in the first place!) Not true ! Some water may get into the fridge vent when washing the van or in violent rains storms but the fridge vent leads to the SEALED combustion chamber and it has a drain below the fridge door that you are supposed to use to drain the combustion chamber in the event water does get in there. The rusting of the Westie side panel is caused mostly from condensation due the change in temperatures between the inside and outside of the van. Also when the fridge is running there is heat produce back there causing condensation. The condensation is collected and held there by the Fiberglas insulation and there is no drain on the floor pan in this area. So.......the water produced by the condensation collects in there at the floor level and rusts out the lower seam. The rust also starts around the cut outs for the services because the Fiberglas is retaining moisture there and the edges of the cut outs were left naked by Westfalia. Also the horizontal box section support rib about mid way on the side collects moisture because it has numerous openings in its cross section, has no rust protection and therefore rusts heavily. See my VW Vanagon Westfalia Dometic Fridge Maintenace <http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/fridge.htm> for more information. Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada BusFusion <http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm> a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 10 ~ 13, 2004 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: Vanagon List <http://www.vanagon.com/>, LiMBO <http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/>, IWCCC <http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/> & CCVWC <http://www.ccvwc.ca/> Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers <http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm> Frank Condelli & Associates <http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html> or http://frankcondelli.com

******************************************************************* CONFIDENTIAL - This e-mail transmission and any documents attached to it may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original transmission, attachments, and destroy any hard copies.