Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 May 2004 13:06:26 -0700
From:         Galleons Lap Photo <glphoto@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Where to go on Vancouver Island

On Mon, 3 May 2004 00:00:07 -0400, Automatic digest processor wrote:

>Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 19:20:07 -0600 >From: Jeff Kennedy <kennedy@THERIVER.COM> >Subject: where to go on Vancouver Island? > >Hi all, > The wife(to be) and I will be going to Vancouver Island for a couple >weeks in June, for our honeymoon - in the westy, of course. Would love >to hear any suggestions on where to go and what to see. We're thinking >of Pacific Rim Park, and somewhere where we can take short kayaking >trips. Also interested in hiking/backpacking trips. Of course, free >camping is nice, but not necessarily required. We'll probably even spent >a night or two in some sort of lodge (don't tell Rosy!) > >Also, can anyone tell me about experiences they've had with they're vans >on the ferry? Mine sits a little higher than the average westfalia. > >Cheers, > >Jeff Kennedy >84 Westfalia w/ a Tiico motor (Rosy)

[Then Roy Added]

>Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 21:31:40 -0500 >From: Roy Olynick <rrh@AUTOBAHN.MB.CA> >Subject: Fwd: where to go on Vancouver Island?

>We "did" Vancouver Island two summers ago. Make sure you have camping >reservations before you go. Pacific Rim National Park is beautiful >(great hiking) but camping reservations should be made WELL in advance >of your trip. Sites in the National Park campground are reserved a year >in advance! We had no idea the Ucluelet/Tofino area was so popular. We >were shut out of the National Park Campground and were lucky to get the >last site in a private campground, and I use the term "campground" >loosely here.

>As far as what to see, just drive the Island...it's beautiful!

>If you're in need of expert VW repairs near Nanaimo, B.C., I recommend >Bavarian Imports, 1260B Island Hwy. South tel: (250) 754-8944. They got >us on the road quickly when we needed repairs.

>We took the ferry between Port Angeles, Washington and Victoria, B.C. >No problems getting the Westy on board. Clearance is no problem but as >with most ferry services, get to the terminal at least a couple of >hours before departure. The line-up forms early!

>Have a great time!

>Roy Olynick >'87 Vanagon Westfalia GL (For Sale) >http://www.mts.net/~rrh/WestyHome.html

Hello Jeff

See also my reply to Gary's Island Hopping message.

We live part time on Saltspring Island, and part time in Vancouver (city). Vancouver Island, as Roy has mentioned, is quite nice. Without prior reservations for Tofino and Uclulet, you are likely to be disappointed. At least from a camping point of view. BC Parks are basic, and clean, and very nice. Private Campgrounds can be the opposite. BC Parks reservations (at least some) are accessble by Internet. Just google to get the address, or email me if you can't find it. Pacific Rim park may be worth day drive, if you can't get a last minute reservation. It is a National Park. There are several BC Parks on the road from the main highway on the east coast of the island. Also consider visiting the Sunshine Coast, and the Gulf Islands. BC Ferries accepts reservations on most routes, if not all. Some routes are by reservation only. Reservations on the main, reservation optional, routes costs more, but may prevent a several hour wait. Although ferry lineups are considered part of the summer experience here. Get an accurate height measurement of the Westy, and then check what the overheight is at BC Ferries. www.bcferries.bc.ca if memory serves, but google it if I am wrong. There is an extra fare charge for overheights. Mine is well under the threshold. Vancouver Island and Saltspring and Sunshine Coast have lots of services, the smaller gulf islands can be pretty basic. Saltspring has a saturday market of farmers and atisans, lots of live music, and organic food and coffee shops. Also, I have never seen so many westies in one place before, though I have never gone to a vanagon event. Up to 6 westies in the village parking lot of about 150 spots. email me if you have any other questions, and check the other BC thread for more.

Kirk added the following info to the other thread

>http://www.bcferries.bc.ca/

>http://www.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/

>http://www.islands.bc.ca/

>http://www.gulfislandsguide.com/index.htm