Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 May 2004 16:48:09 -0700
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Woes of season's first trip - long

I tell you, these vanagons wear out just sitting in the driveway.

The van started up just fine after sitting all winter, even the valve lifters were quiet. I checked the coolant, the oil the fridge, the sink pump. all was OK, so off we went --- Halifax to Ottawa, and then for me, on to Northern Michigan.

The van was running fine. Till we stopped for the night. Few camp grounds open in late April, so we 'stealth' camped. Found a nice logging road and up we went, till we got stuck in soft muck. Fortunately for us we had just passed a truck repair place and a guy there was able to pull us out at 8 p.m.

So we were a bit more careful in the second 'stealth' site. As we went to get dinner ready, NO sink water pump, NO interior lights, mmmmmmm Just had a new camping battery put in, how could that be?? Turns out that my great mechanic forgot to hook up feed wire to the relay to the 2nd battery and having the fridge on DC all day drained the battery. Thanks Jeff?

Patricia goes to open the hanging closet and the latch breaks off. Maybe due to the cold.

Next day the weather cools off to just above freezing and it rains. Now with a carburetor, near freezing and rain induce carburetor icing (fuel enters the cylinders as ice pellets and not as a vapor). That increased outr fuel consumption greatly. AND the throttle froze OPEN. Sort of a crude Cruise Control. I fixed that by wrapping the carb throat in insulation (paper towels and a cotton towel and (what else) duct tape! Carb was still icing, but the throttle did not freeze open. So I need to see to that before next winter. As I had the rear hatch open, the struts gave way and would not hold the rear lid up. Nearly cut me in half.

This is just day ONE of the trip and: Got stuck, latch broke, rear struts gave out, carburetor icing. What's going to happen tomorrow????

So on across New Brunswick, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and up into Ontario and Ottawa. on the outskirts of Ottawa the van gets a BAD metallic rubbing from the right rear wheel. It had happened once yesterday, but had gone away. I could not see anything wrong and I hoped it was just some mud from having been stuck a few days earlier.

I stopped into a Midas shop for them to take a look. Rear brakes were badly worn and both master cylinders were leaking fluid and not retracting well. So we decided to have both rear brakes completely done. As its a syncro, Midas (thankfully) could not use Midas parts and had to order the compete vanagon brake kits. It'll be done tomorrow.

My wife had a conference in Ottawa and so she was taken care of while staying at the swish Chateau Laurier.

Next day, the brakes went on, I watched every move and the guy did a good job, They charged me a LOT, but who wants a cheap brake job???

Off the hoist and the right rear wheel noise was WORSE!! Maybe its the backing plate??? fiddle, fiddle, fiddle. No, still bad scraping noise. I suggested that I start the van and put it in gear and rev it. The wheel was wobbling as it spun!!! He took the hub off and the right rear outer wheel bearing had DISINTEGRATED!!!! In pieces!! Outer rim was cracked and the inner lattice holding the bearings was in pieces.

I had been on the phone with list member Frank Condelli (45 kms to the east), but he could not get to it (parts) for a few days, so as this guy was doing good work, I said "do it". He orders parts and I had another nice night with my wife at the Chateau Laurier (and a nice dinner out).

Next day, he gets to work and in a few hours the right rear wheel assembly is re-built: seals, bearings, spacer, hub (old one was cracked) etc and the new brakes from the day before. Good for the van, bad for my bank account. The van was now working so I took off for Frank's place in Almonte and asked him to replace the bearing on the left side. Preventive maintenance. It was interesting to watch another mechanic do the exact same job. Both got it done, but took different paths. Frank was cheaper in cost by half (PLUS dinner and camping in his driveway). I should have had the van towed to Franks, could have saved some $$s.

I was now a few days behind schedule so I said my goodbyes to my wife and I headed west towards Northern Michigan. Nice, pretty drive, but cold with rain and snow through Ontario. But no more van troubles (except for more carburetor icing).

So that is the story of the maiden voyage for the season. May your first outting of the season go better than mine. Malcolm