Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 May 2004 06:13:43 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: "drain hole" caps - was RE: fridge exhaust cover
Comments: To: andrew_gies@Cangene.com

In a message dated 03/05/2004 10:03:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, andrew_gies@Cangene.com writes:

I have the Westy interior out of my van, and while grinding away rust etc. on the lower seam area - I removed two plastic caps that cover holes that are open to one of the main frame support "beams" (pardon my bad terminology). This support beam is in turn permanently open on the underside of the van body (evidenced by my cleaning water dripping below the van). Should I replace these plastic caps after I complete my POR15 fix to the area? I guess there is an off chance of water splashing up through these holes from outside, and a possible vermin issue - any advice? Personally - I kinda like the idea of a permanent drain in this VERY hard to reach area. FWIW - these plastic caps are also present along the base of the inclined portion of the van underneath the rear seat - and should be visible when you raise the seat.

Andrew, I don't think it's detrimental leaving those plugs out. My van has rusted through in this area to the point that the caps don't make any difference. I keep that area well flooded with Krown Oil and have never had problems with vermin or water getting in there from the bottom. The area directly below is the rocker panel which is drained by two holes which were plugged by plastic caps from the factory. Some vans still have them some not. Anyways, these holes are small and offset from the holes in the floor pan. No way vermin could enter and if water did it would just drain back out. I think VW intended the drain holes to be plugged to prevent water from entering if in water deep enough to get in. The owner was to remove those plugs now and then to drain any accumulated water. Mine are still there. I do remove them now and then to check and spray Krown in there. Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper c amping event, Almonte, ON, June 10 ~ 13, 2004 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: _Vanagon List_ (http://www.vanagon.com/) , _LiMBO_ (http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/) , _IWCCC_ (http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/) & _CCVWC_ (http://www.ccvwc.ca/) Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) or http://frankcondelli.com