Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 May 2004 22:55:49 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: wisdom of strapping surfboard to westy roof, no rack
Comments: To: Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@hewitt.com>

Doug, this seems like a nice cheap deal. Is 57" wide enough to fit across the width of the camper poptop? Or, do I need to get the wider bars. http://www.prolineracks.com/spec-cartop-carriers.html

Another listmember told me to get 66" cross bars for the Yakima 1A towers. I've also heard that 1" OD pipe will work. I may opt for the Yakima side-loader brackets from REI for $50 for four http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay? storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=1287&parent_category_rn=450 1516

And I would need to locate some cheap 1A towers from some place used.

There's also another option of getting generic gutter mount racks.

My only concern right now is bar width.

Any thoughts on minimum width requirements?

Thanks.

Regards, Craig