Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 May 2004 17:32:28 -0400
From:         Pam McIntosh <p_d_mcintosh@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      rad fan 'clattering' noise at start-up,
              preceeded by 'ticking' noise under floor

I have a '91 Automatic Transmission w/ Air Conditioning purchased last fall and not driven much until this spring.

Thanks to reviewing the archives of this list, I got rid of a blinking oil light at warm idle with a Castrol 20-50 and a VW filter. 2,000 km prior it had an oil change with Penzoil 20-40 and a Mann W 719/5 filter. Hopefully I will not have further problems (for a while anyway).

I have reviewed the archives and not found the following problems, exactly, so will post to see if anyone can advise.

Sometimes, not always, when the fan starts there is a 'clattering like' noise. It will last for 10 to 20 seconds then settle in to just the (loudish) hum/whur. (I first heard this noise the first time I heard the fan last winter. I had just climbed a very long hill up the local mountain and turned around at the top. I thought something was breaking or the fan blades were hitting something or the whole thing was falling apart AND the oil light was blinking! - what a scare! That's when I started looking in the archives re oil light). Since then the weather is getting warmer and the fan is coming on more. It seems to make the clattering noise mostly when the fan comes on when turning or breaking or starting to move. It does, however, make the noise at times when just stopped. What could this be that it is only when the fan starts?

Also, I know when the rad fan is going to come on as there is a 'ticking' noise (every 5 or so seconds for about 30 - 45 seconds or so) under the floor around the area or the shifter. Noises can travel I know, so not sure where the actual source might be. Is this normal? Could it be a relay or switch or something trying to cut the fan in?

The fan does seem to be loud, though I wonder if it is the 'hurricane' loud of the high speed that many of the list messages refer to. I am concerned about the low speed resistor thing and whether the fan is running only on high speed. I do not remember my '85 (non A/C - bought in Germany in '90 & sold in England in '92) fan being as loud. Perhaps the fan for A/C is louder on low speed than the non A/C fan on low speed?.

Thanks for any advise, Pam