Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 May 2004 14:24:17 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Night vision trick (was "E-codes w/ 9004 bulbs?")
Comments: To: Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>

Dunno abiout one eye shut vs two eyes open, bue years ago some fool came at me with lights on bright and refused to dimm them. Near blinded me. Even if lights are dimmed there is alwasy a black blank void directly in front of you on your side of the road as the oncoming vehicle gets to you and as it passes. There is a momentary period when you cannot see what is there. Just blackness. Then you pop out of the zone, your lights are effective again and hopefully nothing has gotten out in the road in that few seconds.

Well, I wasn't so lucky. A black angus stepped into the road in that black void and when that other vehicle passed, and I popped out of that momentary void I found myself two feet from broadsiding that black angus. Slammed into the sugcker going 60 mph, and it flipped up on the hood ove my car, slide into the windshield shattering it and somehow getting a hoof and leg through the glass. I lost control and skidded across the road spinning around and slamming head-on into an embankment with the cow still on the hood, unable to get free because of the stuck hoof and leg. The head-on impact into the embankment was enough to throw the cow off the car. In that few seconds, the cow was totalled, my station wagen was totalled, and I and my family were damn near totalled. Scared hell out of me. Fortuately no one was hurt except the cow and the car. Wife got a seatbelt bruise. Kids were fine.

I'm really leary of that black blind spot these days, during and after a car passes. Especially driving my flat nosed vanagon. I at least had a long front end on the station wagen to take some of the impact.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver