Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 May 2004 00:39:09 -0400
From:         John Runberg <jrunberg@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Road Haus Two
Comments: To: Chuck Reisinger <chuckphoto@EARTHLINK.NET>

Chuck,

Great to hear that you're not being frightened off by the recent negative nature of our list. Perhaps it's due to the wasserboxer itself, but this list seems to get it's undies in a bunch every once and awhile. It'll pass.

Since you asked for opinions, perhaps I can offer mine - for the little it's worth:

> 1. Laptop on the road If you're going to use it - bring it. Just remember not to let it cook in a closed van, and that anything brought along is fair game for those who steal. Probably a good idea to keep it with you...

> 2. Mac or PC...heard that Mac was much better at handling images...(pro/cons) I prefer Macs, but use both them and PCs on a regular basis. Nowadays, one will probably function as well as the other for basic stuff except if you have a specific program to run. From personal experience, a Mac gennerally experiences fewer system problems, although at a higher intial cost. I've never been interested in doing things the M$ way and don't prefer the disinterest hackers have in the Apple platform, for now.

> 8. Working up a realistic budget When you find this info, please post it to the list. I haven't found any guidence in the archives on this one.

> 9. The biggie...managing digital images on the road (camera and laptop suggestions appreciated) Now this one I have some significant experience in. It all depends on what camera system your using and the resolution of the images. Our new Canon 10-D (gotta love a photographer wife) takes unbelieveably good pictures, but they get pretty huge. We use 512mb and 1gig cards in the camera (helpful to have at least two) and transfer to the mac throguh firewire. The great thing on the Mac - and maybe a Dell does it too now - is we just plug the camera in and POOF the camera is seen and images transfered. No software to install, it just works. If your images are going to be large then Firewire is how you want to connect, compared to USB.

As for choosing a camera, most consumer digitals (<5 megapixels) are affordable and take great pictures. Visit your local store and try them out -- then research the ones you like online to learn how they perform in the real world. If you had $1,500 lying around (and the photo jobs to use it) I'd definately get the 10-D. You'd still have to get a lens, however.... I DIDN'T research the little Canon digital Elph I got a few years ago and found out that in bright light the whites burn out. Oops.

That said, a couple suggestions. You can easilly max your hard drive w/ images in short order. This means backing up to CD or DVD is mandatory. At work and at home I use image a cataloging program so we can easilly see what's on each disk. Remember also that those disks are plastic and will not appreciate being in the hot sun (or car). The whole idea is to limit your risk in case something fails - or gets stolen! I'd drop mail them home or to a friend just to have them in a safe place.

john