Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 May 2004 23:05:02 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Questions re. Audi 3A engine swap (after searching the
              archives)
Comments: To: bungeegull@HOTMAIL.COM

Sam,

I enjoy Frank G's posts on this list which are rare now, yet I respectfully object to the use of the Diesel trans in a gas inline four conversion.

I did the same conversion in 1995 , yet I adapted the air-cooled Vanagon trans for it's better cruising final drive ratio.

It's true that the engine quiets down at higher rpms. At 4,000 RPM road speed is 80 mph.

Between 75-80 is the most quiet.

However, I am able to keep things quiet in all rpm ranges by using the 2.1 WBX muffler. This or similar plus use of a dual down pipe exhaust will improve power and reduce noise.

I have driven a Vanagon conversion with the Diesel trans left in and it is slow! Bout the only good thing I have to say is that it pulls hills better. But top speed will eat your gas . At 75 mph you'll be turning 4,800 RPM. ANd it is loud.

Yes- you can pull row of freight cars behind you but you won't have it quiet. At the high end of rpm the engine again becomes loud.

I ran the 1.8 engine stock. if you do some mods you can get more out. I chose to upgrade to a 2.0 Motronic. Better power and features and rid of the problematic AFM. On board engine diagnostics too.

I think , as others have before me, that the Diesel trans is only good if you plan to tow or carry heavy loads at speeds 60 or less mph.

You can't pull to much- I ruined a Diesel clutch towing 4,000 lbs.

Ideally the inline conversion will benefit most with a 5 speed conversion. Some rebuilders can convert a 4-speed manual Vanagon trans to a five-speed.

This will give you the best of both trans--4 slighter lower-gears and one overdrive gear. You can pull the hills in fourth and cruise the flats at 3,400 in 5th.

With my present combination of trans and engine I get about 19-23 mpg.

I think it would be less with a Diesel trans.

Note, in answer to your question about PS pumps, I retro'ed PS in my Vanagon using the Golf-jetta pump. You have to delete the Diesel filler tube if you have PS.

Robert

1982 Westfalia 2.0 ABA Motronic