Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 May 2004 23:50:45 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Questions re. Audi 3A engine swap (after searching the
              archives)
Comments: To: FrankGRUN@aol.com

Aw rats! I wanted to disagree with you thinking you would'nt notice. Why does everyone have to lurk?

Well, maybe the differences are practical-one for load carrying and one for speed. When I say speed I mean the ability to cruise freeway without sacrificing fuel economy.

Up to a point of course, as higher speeds equal greater wind resistance and lower fuel economy.

My best economy is 60 mph or lower, which is 2,600-3,000 rpm. Not much torque in 4th as you have with your Diesel trans.

Especially now I am glad I went for the gas trans. I had a Diesel trans originally. A friend and I traded vanagons for a comparison test- I was able to out-distance him quickly uphill in spite of his torque.

Where i live it's important not to hold up traffic.

The Diesel trans has a way of dampening your greatest HP ambitions(like the old Bus gear reduction boxes). If you want HP and speed with economy-4-speed gas is it.

If hill climbing ability is the goal, the geared -down trans is best.

The Four speed gas (as in air-cooled vanagon trans)gears are widely spaced as ratios go- so I look forward to the five-speed i plan to have built out of my four-speed. it's been a long wait-

Good to hear you are still perfecting the inline-

Robert

1982 Westfalia

----Original Message Follows---- From: FrankGRUN@aol.com To: warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM, vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Re: Questions re. Audi 3A engine swap (after searching the archives) Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 02:31:32 EDT

In a message dated 5/5/04 11:11:09 PM, warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> With my present combination of trans and engine I get about 19-23 mpg. > > I think it would be less with a Diesel trans. > Robert,

I'll still disagree. I've now run transmissions both in preparation for putting in the Turbo Audi. I stand with the numbers. You pay for the power used. Of course the main variable is fuel economy it the interconnection of the base of the reptilian brain with the control foot. Expending available thrust is fun. As to the clutch, for the larger diameter clutch to have more towing capacity, its contact area must exceed the gear reduction comparison in final drive ratio. At which point the trans is well on its way to toast.

The ABA block with 1.8 head has a much poorer flow efficiency than the 3A with the 3A 8V head. At that point, the ABA block only has the bore/stroke ratio going for it, if it has the squirters and forged crank.

Frank Grunthaner

Frank Grunthaner

Robert 1982 Westfalia 1987 Wolfsburg